on Thursday, August 20, 2020
The August 2020, the StarFire™ 20-2 software update is now available. This software update, unlike many others, is a “Mandatory Update” for both StarFire 6000 and StarFire 3000 receivers and includes software fixes plus a few new features. The most important part of the 20-2 software update is that it positions the current StarFire 6000 and StarFire 3000 receivers to continue operating into the future. Changes coming with the 20-2 software update also prepare the StarFire network to support new satellite constellations and the next generation StarFire receiver.
Critical Update Steps
With the 20-2 Mandatory Update there are some critical steps to follow to ensure minimal impact to customers. First, as previously communicated, StarFire iTC receivers will no longer function beginning January 1, 2021. This date has been extended to February 1, 2021 and will no long receive the StarFire signal. StarFire iTC receivers will continue to operate in WAAS until approximately 2026 or when the US GPS satellite constellation P(Y) code is retired and may continue to be used for yield mapping. Guidance applications including AutoTrac™ will not be available. February 1, 2021 will also be the deadline to have all StarFire 6000 and StarFire 3000 receivers updated to 20-2.
Receivers not updated to 20-2 by this time will not receive the StarFire signal and as such will only operate in WASS until updated to 20-2. Next, there is an order of operation to the 20-2 software update. Customer’s RTK receivers (rovers) must be updated prior to RTK base stations being updated to 20-2. If base stations are updated before rovers, the rover will lose communication with the base station until the rover is updated to 20-2. Once the base station is updated to 20-2, customers with a StarFire iTC rover will also no longer be able to connect to the base station.
- August 2020: StarFire 20-2 software update available
- August through November 2020: Update all customer StarFire 6000 and StarFire 3000 receivers
- December 2020 through January 2021: Update RTK base stations to 20-2 and remaining customers
- February 1, 2021: All StarFire 6000 and StarFire 3000 receivers must have been updated to 20-2. StarFire iTC receivers stop receiving StarFire signal. StarFire software update 20-2 for StarFire 6000 receivers will also include the following new features:
- Continuous Data Logging • New RTK Extend (RTK-X) and John Deere Mobile RTK (M-RTK) status added • Shared Signal and Machine Sync Compatibility